Accessibility

Font size

Filters

Highlight

Colour

Zoom

Back

Results: For the Love of Reading

January 21, 2020

Results: For the Love of Reading Image

Last week, we asked you about your offline activity - namely reading. This topic was brought to us by one of our members who is an avid reader and, as book lovers ourselves, we jumped at the chance to explore this topic a little further. 

Our results showed that about ⅓ of respondents consider themselves avid readers, and 40% say that they occasionally read books. Only 20% said they rarely read books and a mere 3% said they didn’t read them at all. It has to be said, that we don’t know the actual proportion of ‘bookworms’ in Gibraltar, however, there is a strong argument to suggest that book lovers would likely be more inclined to complete this survey (in fact we had 10 new members on the first day of launching this survey!). This may therefore mean that our respondents are more likely to be keen readers than the general population, and so the following results may be slightly skewed. (But hey, no harm, no foul right?)

The highlights are as follows:

  • 73% of respondents said they had read at least one book in the last 12 months for pleasure
  • A whopping 97% said they would like to read more books. Which suggests a lack of time to persue this hobby. 
  • Only about a quarter of us are solely ebook readers, with the majority of readers enjoying a mix of both.
  • Most respondents who read physical books said they bought them online - which could explain the trend in bookshop closures of late in Gibraltar. This said, as this is an online survey we are more likely to get ‘tech savvy’ respondents, and so our respondents/results may be more skewed towards online purchases. 
  • There was more or less an even split between preferences between Fact and Fiction, with Romance, Realistic Fiction and Science Fiction topping the Fiction Genre and Biographies/Autobiographies (‘reality tv’ in book form), Science and History topping the Non-Fiction Genre.
  • There was a lot of audiobook snobbery, with 70% of respondents stating that listening to a book was worse than reading it. Funnily enough, the remaining 30% were split between listening being worse and listening being the same as reading a book. 

Before we leave you with the results of our last question we would like to tell you about our next survey. You can take part in it here. It is called ‘The good, the bad and the ugly of social media’. This survey is in conjunction with The Gibraltar Chronicle and so results will be in their paper issued the Monday 3rd Feb. 

The final question asked respondents to name one of their favourite books. As we expected, avid readers are more likely to read this blog post, we have listed the less common titles (so we removed the likes of ‘Harry Potter’) so as to hopefully inspire you to pick up another good read. 

Some of our responses, in no particular order…

  • Arthur C Clarke "The Rama Series"
  • Belgariad
  • Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami
  • Grapes of Wrath
  • Christmas Pudding Club
  • Americanah
  • Dark Fire
  • World Without End
  • Zombie Economics
  • The Power of Now
  • Wool
  • Eleanor & Park
  • Untouchable
  • Bad Science
  • Mein Kampf
  • In Her Name
  • Sapiens
  • The Masterpiece
  • The Crow
  • Man’s Search for Meaning
  • 6 Maps That Changed The World
  • Fame
  • Invisible Women
  • The Keeper of Lost Things
  • Pillars of the Earth
  • Goodbye to Berlin
  • Brideshead Revisited
  • Tales from the White Hart
  • Skin Gods by Richard Montinari

Happy reading!! :)